- What is the climate like?
- Is it landlocked, coastal, or an island?
- What resources are present?
- What is the terrain like?
- Are their any natural barriers that would impede movement?
- Where are the sources of water?
- How many languages and ethnic groups are present?
- Have any of these people been recently displaced?
- How is society organized?
- What form of government is there?
- Do the people look favorably on the government?
- What religions are practice?
- Is there a state religion?
- Who are the country’s neighbors?
- Is this country more powerful than its neighbors?
- What are the country’s major industries?
- Is the country dependent on its neighbors for any important resources?
- Does the country have any colonies abroad?
- Are any parts of the country’s territory contested by its neighbors?
- Does this country have any historic rivalries?
Writing prompts are a great way to get the creative juices flowing. Unfortunately, it’s been quite awhile since I found one that really inspired me. Instead of scouring the internet in hopes of finding one I decided I would make a few of my own with the help of Dungeons and Dragons.
You should be able to use a standard dice set to go through these. Let’s see what we create!
Genre – d6
- Space Opera
- Sword & Sandal
- Science Fantasy
- Urban Fantasy
Place – d10
- Large Crowd
- Ancient Forest
Main Character – d8
Objective – d20
- Save the Prince
- Get rid of a cursed necklace
- Hold them off
- Escape from the guards
- Get rich quick or die trying
- Go unnoticed
- Find the missing children
- Break through the walls
- Track the goblins back to their lair
- Sell the stolen cargo before the guards find it
- Make it through the tunnel alive
- Track down a band of thieves
- Find the hunter Bolland, he never came back from his trip last week.
- Save the Corish Ambassador from a mysterious assassin
- Get your friend to a doctor
- Evade the pirates, no way can your ship take them on alone
- Escape from your captors
- Steal the King’s crown
- Blackmail an important official
- Stage a coup
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to figure out how to write a story about a science fantasy temple healer who wants to get rich more than anything else. If I complain just remind me that I brought this on myself.
Making an RPG is something I’ve been thinking about doing for awhile. A few months ago I started compiling a short setting book for Sprawling Iron, but that is taking awhile and it will be quite some time before I get all the writing for it done and finalize the maps. In the mean time, I’ve made this 1 page RPG and plan to make a few others as I have time. This one is called Before the Mast, and is set in Catatera, a mobile city made up of hundreds of loosely affiliated ships that endlessly circles the globe.
I’ve included the pdf here for anyone who wants to try it. There has been exactly 0 play testing, so any feedback would be very welcome. Find me on twitter @expyblog and let me know what you think!